Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Perspective

Every now and then, while I'm doing homework or between classes at school, I remind myself to step back and think about what this is all for. Why am I doing all these classes? Why am I learning how to learn Ilocano (in addition to actually learning it), why am I learning Greek declensions - especially the really hard third declension? Why am I learning how to accurately transcribe and enter data into a lexicon?

It's not just because it's really amazingly fun - most of the time - or because it's helping me understand more about language in general... though those things are true.

It's because someday soon, I will be using this information and these skills as part of a team of people working to bring the Word of God into a language that has never had it before.

9After this I looked and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and in front of the Lamb. They were wearing white robes and were holding palm branches in their hands. 10And they cried out in a loud voice:
"Salvation belongs to our God,
who sits on the throne,
and to the Lamb."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dear Johanna

This is your Auntie Leila. I found your comment on Iasaac's blog and thought it was so very special. Did you get my graduation gift? I do not remember whether I sent it or not? Please write me and let me know what your e-mail address is or how to contact you. I want to keep in touch. I love you very much.

Auntie Leila